Tuesday 25 May 2010

What I got and Why (Slight Return)

Valhallahan
I went to see friends in Norwich this weekend and between bars, managed to try out the local comic shop; Abstract Sprocket. It’s a small but perfectly formed shop with a good mix of Trades, Back Issues and New Releases. Not much other Merch, apart from a few nice T shirts. There was a wall of Manga too, but it’s not really my bag. Here’s what I got:

DV8: Gods and Monsters #2 - I was a big fan of DV8 in the late 90s and this revamp has me intrigued. I haven’t read any Wildstorm in years, so I don’t know what the deal is with continuity, is there any? Are we meant to be wondering why half these characters are alive and together again, or do we just accept it as an entirely new thing? Also worth noting that Brian Wood’s inability to write a likeable character works perfectly here. The cover is probably my favourite of the month. Tattoo-Worthy.

The Marvels Project #8 (of 8) - I’ve enjoyed this series, so in a way it’s a shame to see it go, but in other ways it was a pretty pointless re-treading of old ground with a few cool additions. To end it with Pearl Harbour seemed pretty arbitrary to me, but I’ll stop complaining because I did enjoy it (the series, not Pearl Harbour - That was well shit).

Girl #3 – This is an old Vertigo Verite series by Peter Milligan and Duncan Fegredo that I’ve been trying to track down for about two years. I’d literally tried every comic shop in London and the outskirts to no avail (Found #1 in Oxfam, Crouch End, and #2 in Orbital), I’d have looked online, but where’s the fun in that? Anyway, this is an excellent series about a strange young woman and her crappy life. Also, she may or may not be a serial killer.

2 comments:

René Reiche said...

nAH, the DV8 cover is only a half-assed....-faced.... copy of your digital you.

Valhallahan said...

I knew there was a reason I liked it!